Sunday, January 7, 2018

New year wishes


There are two things I try not to miss every December and January - celebrating Christmas with the family and writing myself a letter on new year’s day.

I failed to do the first one this 2017. When I was asked to support World Vision’s emergency response in Bangladesh, I knew I couldn’t come home for Christmas. The day came and passed with no Christmas carols, no family prayers and reunions, no Christmas lights dotting the shopping malls, houses and buildings. I have no regrets. More than one month since I arrived, I’ve been to a roller coaster ride of emotions. As a story teller, you cannot step in to the refugee camps without being challenged, without having questions, without feeling pain, tenderness, and rage and love all at the same time. Every time I go and leave the camp, I receive more than I give - smiles and songs from the children at World Vision’s child-friendly spaces, the trust of the refugees when they share their stories and the hospitality of my colleagues. Christmas away from home in the Philippines has not been as merry but it was as meaningful, perhaps even more.

The 3000 acre forest land is now a massive refugee camp, home to more than 860,000 refugees

I don’
t plan on missing my second tradition though. There’s something about new year notes that inspire me throughout the year.

So this new year, I wish us more time to spend with our family. I wish we can give more time for hugs, for more kisses, more catch up-over-a-cup-of-coffee with our loved ones. With all the busyness of this world, I hope we create more memories that we can look back to, especially when everything turns upside down. Brothers Faruk and Sharuk, two of the many refugee children are now deprived of that chance – no mother to lull them to sleep, no father to ride bicycle with. In a blink of an eye, they lost their parents to the violence. But the memory of their family keeps them going. The way Faruk was cared for by his parents is the way he is trying to love his younger brother. Theirs is an achingly tender story of survival but one that is a lovely reminder of how quality time with family can nurture a child, even in the hardest of times.

I wish us the generosity for affirmation, for kind and gentle words. In the camps, I’ve talked not just to the refugees, most who identify themselves as Rohingya, but also to host communities. With the outbreak of diseases and the sudden influx of more than 600,000 people since August 25, their lives have also drastically changed. It would have been easier to throw hurtful words, to be bitter. But some of the people I’ve talked to are now World Vision’s translators, women and child-friendly spaces facilitators. They are at the frontline, encouraging the refugees, sharing the spaces they used to call their own. Isn’t that the very essence of humanity, people caring for other people?

I hope we don’t stop dreaming. The roads may get bumpy but may we always hold on to the deepest hopes of our heart. I don’t know how children in the camps do it but there is something in them that is resolute and strong, unadulterated by the cruelty of their situation. 10-year old Rijuan, despite witnessing violence and losing his brother along the way is still determined to be a policeman someday. I will help keep all people safe, he shares. All people, not just his people. Shamima, despite losing everything in Myanmar, still hopes she could have at least saved her books. I want to teach other children to read and write. One day, I’ll be a head teacher. There is something about the refugee children’s eyes that make me pray hard at night, asking the Lord to show up, to make His presence felt to them.

More importantly, this new year, I wish we never get tired of loving. I wish us more love so we can give some more. This is a complex response with the refugees’ needs growing day by day. Interventions need to be scaled up lest we reach the tipping point, especially for children who comprise more than 50% of the refugee population.

As we welcome 2018 with fireworks and with the children in my home country blowing their party horns, Faruk, Sharuk, Rijuan, Shamima and the many more people affected by the violence face an uncertain future. I wish we find a way to get their stories told and retold. Even without going to the camps, even without hearing, seeing and even smelling their condition first hand, I hope the love in us will cause us to think of them, to pray for them, to give for them. If needed, I hope we get the courage to go, to temporarily leave our own families so we can be a family to them.

Perhaps through this, it will still be a happy new year for all of us.

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment